Skip to main content

Growth Mindset

 Growth Mindset is a concept that was familiar to me due to my previous experience in psychology classes. While I had not heard of Professor Dweck until my Mythology and Folklore class, my understanding of the concept was essentially the same as hers. My experience with the Growth Mindset has certainly evolved over years. Growing up, I was accustomed to putting the worth or value of things I did into awards and achievements. I think part of that mindset was due to being naive and not really understanding what was truly the best way of approaching my life. Grades and achievements are still important to me, I won't deny that, but my use of the Growth Mindset has definitely "grown" over the years, including my time in OU. My failures and setbacks are now more of an opportunity to learn and grow rather than as a validation of any type of worth. A specific example of the Growth Mindset while in college was the second semester of sophomore year when I took biochemistry. The class had notable reputation of not being an easy class around campus and it definitely lived up to its reputation. I remember having to study so much, and still not performing as well as I would have liked in some parts of the class. Yet, I saw this experience as an important building block towards my future as I knew I would need to know how to handle tough classes in medical school. Nevertheless, I was able to the leave the class with the grade I had aspired for and came out for the better. The experience was long and hard, but I am grateful for all of the lessons I took from the class. I just wished I had the insight of the 13 year old in Professor Dweck's TED talk who was able to come to this Growth Mindset so quickly. It is a concept many should consider looking into. 

In addition to growth mindset, I also read Dr. Gibb's blog post about ungrading. I remember when someone first posed this to me as a freshman at OU, I thought it was an unreasonable concept. To me, it did not make sense how someone could be evaluated or progress with distinct criteria and evaluation. However, after taking Mythology and Folklore last year, I have really come to see the worth in ungrading. The lack of consistent grading allowed me to purse literature that I enjoyed while learning on my own time. With college students having so many other expectations, it is a huge load off shoulders to be able to learn on our pace. I do not believe this led to a drop in quality but actually increased my enjoyment with the class. Although the transition to an ungrading system for all courses would be difficult, I definitely think some aspects of ungrading can be incorporated in other classes to reduce stress and increase learning. 



Xavier Vergés: Growth Mindset

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nice to meet you, my name is Neal

 Wow. It is crazy to think that I am already back in Norman for my senior year. While my first threes years were full of unique experiences, I never would have imagined all of these recent events occurring. Although it has been a struggle to get through the pandemic, as I am sure everyone can agree with, I am looking forward to completing my senior year and pursuing my future. To start off, I am psychology major on the pre medicine track. Ever since I took psychology in high school I found studying the mind and the way people act so interesting. However, I always had the goal of becoming a physician which explains the pre-med track.  Although I am an OU student, I still consider myself a proud Texan. I come from a relatively small town in East Texas where high school football is king and perhaps the most famous thing is that Matthew Mccounaughey graduated from my high school (he even came to our high school graduation this year to give a speech!). Wikimedia Commons : Longview High Scho

Comment Wall

  Shiva and Parvati with their son, Ganesha  Link to Storybook 

Week 4 Microfiction: Indian demigods meet Percy Jackson

100 Word Story : Percy staggered through the forest until he came upon an unfamiliar sight. Appearing before him was a camp almost exactly like Camp-Half Blood.  As he entered the gates, he was met by many demigods. They introduced themselves as sons and daughters of Hindu gods and how excited they were to meet Poseidon's son.  Soon the headmaster of the camp, Guru Venkaswami approached Percy. He had asked Percy to arrive to the camp, so that he could join forces in their fight against the fearsome Rakshi.  Together Percy and Rahul, son of Indra, would attempt to defeat the evil demon. Two sentence story: Percy Jackson arrived to the Hindu Demigod Camp in need of assistance. Rahul, son of Indra, and Percy would travel together to defeat the Rakshi demon.  Sources: There was no particular source for this story other than my previous readings of Percy Jackson and Indian stories.  Author's Note: I am a big Percy Jackson fan, so I thought it would be cool to introduce the story to