Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Part B Ramayana

Part 2 of The Ramayana really moved along the plot and brought forward the major conflict of the whole epic: Rama's journey to save his wife Sita. It is interesting to read how this conflict develops as it is really due to the personal desires of Shurpanakha. If she did not have a desire for Rama, then there never would have been any need for retaliation from Ravana to kidnap Sita. However, I do have to remember that this is really the plot of Brahman as he wants a human to kill Ravana. This kind of plays with the idea of faith and just trusting god to lead the way even in times of distress and agony. Something that also makes me wonder is why Brahma gave Ravana all these powers and abilities even while he is the king of the demons. From my lay person's perspective it does not make sense, but I also feel that if I understood more of the Hindu perspective on god, this help would me see why Brahman would be so giving to an evil character. The plot by Ravana to kidnap Sita reminded me of the plot in sleeping beauty by the witch and the evil apple. The more I read The Ramayana, the more I start to see parallels with other stories. I have always felt most religious stories and myths have some common ideas and morals, and this is another example of that sentiment. I do admire Jatayu's courage to try to save Sita and his loyalty to Rama. It was saddening to see his perish, but his death was not in vain as it helped point Rama in the right direction to save Sita. Overall, Part B was instrumental in getting to the meat of the epic, and I look forward to seeing how Rama saves Sita. 

Bibliography: Rama and the Monkeys by Geraldine Hodgson (1903).


Jatayu in Kerala, safe as a rock! - brunch$feature - Hindustan Times

Statue of Jatayu in Kerala, India 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nice to meet you, my name is Neal

 Wow. It is crazy to think that I am already back in Norman for my senior year. While my first threes years were full of unique experiences, I never would have imagined all of these recent events occurring. Although it has been a struggle to get through the pandemic, as I am sure everyone can agree with, I am looking forward to completing my senior year and pursuing my future. To start off, I am psychology major on the pre medicine track. Ever since I took psychology in high school I found studying the mind and the way people act so interesting. However, I always had the goal of becoming a physician which explains the pre-med track.  Although I am an OU student, I still consider myself a proud Texan. I come from a relatively small town in East Texas where high school football is king and perhaps the most famous thing is that Matthew Mccounaughey graduated from my high school (he even came to our high school graduation this year to give a speech!). Wikimedia Commons : Longview High Scho

Comment Wall

  Shiva and Parvati with their son, Ganesha  Link to Storybook 

Week 4 Microfiction: Indian demigods meet Percy Jackson

100 Word Story : Percy staggered through the forest until he came upon an unfamiliar sight. Appearing before him was a camp almost exactly like Camp-Half Blood.  As he entered the gates, he was met by many demigods. They introduced themselves as sons and daughters of Hindu gods and how excited they were to meet Poseidon's son.  Soon the headmaster of the camp, Guru Venkaswami approached Percy. He had asked Percy to arrive to the camp, so that he could join forces in their fight against the fearsome Rakshi.  Together Percy and Rahul, son of Indra, would attempt to defeat the evil demon. Two sentence story: Percy Jackson arrived to the Hindu Demigod Camp in need of assistance. Rahul, son of Indra, and Percy would travel together to defeat the Rakshi demon.  Sources: There was no particular source for this story other than my previous readings of Percy Jackson and Indian stories.  Author's Note: I am a big Percy Jackson fan, so I thought it would be cool to introduce the story to