Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Week 2 Anthology; Goblin City

 I was intrigued by Goblin City as it was the only story that was not focused on animals (the monk story had some focus on a deer). Additionally, there was a note about how it led well into next week's reading, so I chose the story to have some preparation for future readings. The story was short and to the point and mirrored some of the folktales I read in the mythology and folklore class. I found it interesting how the goblins and fairy were simplified in regard to their name. From my experience reading Indian stories, characters tend to have very unique Indian names rather than just "she-goblin" or "fairy". Perhaps it was changed to make the story easier to understand, but I did find that aspect notable. I also wondered where the male goblins were in the story. Why did the she-goblins not marry the male goblins? How often do sailors get wrecked near the island? How did they get married? There is so many questions that could be answered in a potential retelling of the story as it is a very short story. I also want to know why the goblins feared water and cats. What do those two do to a goblin and how do they react? The image provided was useful for picturing the sailors leaving the island, and I did like how the story how it was possible to fit so many sailers on to the back of the horse. The horse reminded me of Pegasus from Greek Mythology and in Percy Jackson. Like the horse in this story, Pegasus often came to the rescue for Percy. Overall, the story was a quick and interesting read, and I a lot of ways to make the story longer and more complete for the reader. 


Bibliography: The Giant Crab, and Other Tales from Old India by W. H. D. Rouse.


History of Sri Lanka - Wikipedia

Comments

  1. Just a quick note to say that mixing up Greek mythology with Indian mythology is a wonderful writing strategy: there is a student who took Indian Epics last semester who did a story combining Daedalus and Icarus with the gods and goddesses of India... and she is going to carry on with that project (I think) now that she is in the Myth-Folklore class! Here's her project from last time: Vengeance of the Sun God (she was very Riordan-inspired!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nice to meet you, my name is Neal

 Wow. It is crazy to think that I am already back in Norman for my senior year. While my first threes years were full of unique experiences, I never would have imagined all of these recent events occurring. Although it has been a struggle to get through the pandemic, as I am sure everyone can agree with, I am looking forward to completing my senior year and pursuing my future. To start off, I am psychology major on the pre medicine track. Ever since I took psychology in high school I found studying the mind and the way people act so interesting. However, I always had the goal of becoming a physician which explains the pre-med track.  Although I am an OU student, I still consider myself a proud Texan. I come from a relatively small town in East Texas where high school football is king and perhaps the most famous thing is that Matthew Mccounaughey graduated from my high school (he even came to our high school graduation this year to give a speech!). Wikimedia Commons : Longview High Scho

Comment Wall

  Shiva and Parvati with their son, Ganesha  Link to Storybook 

Week 4 Microfiction: Indian demigods meet Percy Jackson

100 Word Story : Percy staggered through the forest until he came upon an unfamiliar sight. Appearing before him was a camp almost exactly like Camp-Half Blood.  As he entered the gates, he was met by many demigods. They introduced themselves as sons and daughters of Hindu gods and how excited they were to meet Poseidon's son.  Soon the headmaster of the camp, Guru Venkaswami approached Percy. He had asked Percy to arrive to the camp, so that he could join forces in their fight against the fearsome Rakshi.  Together Percy and Rahul, son of Indra, would attempt to defeat the evil demon. Two sentence story: Percy Jackson arrived to the Hindu Demigod Camp in need of assistance. Rahul, son of Indra, and Percy would travel together to defeat the Rakshi demon.  Sources: There was no particular source for this story other than my previous readings of Percy Jackson and Indian stories.  Author's Note: I am a big Percy Jackson fan, so I thought it would be cool to introduce the story to