Skip to main content

Week 2 Reading Overview

Far my Ramayana readings, I have chosen the public domain edition. I preferred this edition as it is more accessible, free, and even offers an audio version that could be used for long drives. I also enjoyed the illustrations. If the language poses to be too difficult to understand, I might purchase Narayan's Ramayana to read. 

One of the comic books I am interested in is the Tales of Shiva . I have always had a personal interest in Shiva stories as my name Neal symbolizes blue in my mother's tongue, Telegu, and is in relation to the blue skin of Shiva. I am interested in reading more stories about him because of this personal connection. Another comic book I am interested in is Bird Stories. My interest does not stem because of the bird aspect, but mainly from previous experience reading Indian folktales in my Mythology and Folklore class. I have always enjoyed reading stories where cleverness beat out raw strength and physical power, like the traditional rabbit and tortoise story. 

For the videos, I was immediately drawn to Harry Potter meets Hindu Mythology. As a huge Harry Potter fan, I wanted to see how some of its aspects paralleled Indian epics. It was neat to see how the books I loved so much as a child actually had some comparisons with other stories I read. The second video also looked at comparisons. It was the Indian and Greek Mythological parallels. Again my interest in Greek mythology from reading Percy Jackson and my readings in Mythology and Folklore sparked my desire to watch the video. I have always thought there were some parallels, so it was interesting to see other examples I did not know beforehand.  



Wishing you all a blessed Maha Shivratree! May Lord Shiva bless us all with  peace, prosperity and happiness! May the spirit… | Lord shiva, Shiva  shankar, Hindu gods

Shiva; the god of which my name was inspired by

Comments

  1. This sounds great, Neal! I'm worried for everybody's safety being back on campus... but having access to the comic books in Bizzell is going to be really nice; the Indian Epics class lost access to all the comic books in the second half of the semester, which is exactly when they come into play in the reading. I hope that everybody will get to make use of the comics this semester. ALL the Shiva comic books are really cool, and there are also lots of folktale comics that make good reading after the long-and-intense epics!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nice to meet you, my name is Neal

 Wow. It is crazy to think that I am already back in Norman for my senior year. While my first threes years were full of unique experiences, I never would have imagined all of these recent events occurring. Although it has been a struggle to get through the pandemic, as I am sure everyone can agree with, I am looking forward to completing my senior year and pursuing my future. To start off, I am psychology major on the pre medicine track. Ever since I took psychology in high school I found studying the mind and the way people act so interesting. However, I always had the goal of becoming a physician which explains the pre-med track.  Although I am an OU student, I still consider myself a proud Texan. I come from a relatively small town in East Texas where high school football is king and perhaps the most famous thing is that Matthew Mccounaughey graduated from my high school (he even came to our high school graduation this year to give a speech!). Wikimedia Commons : Longview High Scho

Comment Wall

  Shiva and Parvati with their son, Ganesha  Link to Storybook 

Week 4 Microfiction: Indian demigods meet Percy Jackson

100 Word Story : Percy staggered through the forest until he came upon an unfamiliar sight. Appearing before him was a camp almost exactly like Camp-Half Blood.  As he entered the gates, he was met by many demigods. They introduced themselves as sons and daughters of Hindu gods and how excited they were to meet Poseidon's son.  Soon the headmaster of the camp, Guru Venkaswami approached Percy. He had asked Percy to arrive to the camp, so that he could join forces in their fight against the fearsome Rakshi.  Together Percy and Rahul, son of Indra, would attempt to defeat the evil demon. Two sentence story: Percy Jackson arrived to the Hindu Demigod Camp in need of assistance. Rahul, son of Indra, and Percy would travel together to defeat the Rakshi demon.  Sources: There was no particular source for this story other than my previous readings of Percy Jackson and Indian stories.  Author's Note: I am a big Percy Jackson fan, so I thought it would be cool to introduce the story to