Skip to main content

Week 5 Story: Sita Tested

Sita could not understand what she was hearing. Why would Rama question her loyalty to her husband? She had suffered for so long in Lanka, longing for every second to return to her husband who she adored so dearly. Now Rama acted as if she was spoiled goods. It did not make any sense to her. Yet, Rama was stubborn in his thoughts. He could not see past the possibility his wife may not be as pure as she was once before. Rama was adamant that Sita prove herself before him. For all he had done to rescue Sita, did she really betray him?  Sita was still shaken by Rama's endearing attitude to her. Nevertheless, like it was before, her loyalty and devotion towards Rama never wavered. She immediately called for a fire to be built so she could prove her worth. This was the ultimate test as she prayed to the gods to protect her and reveal her true image and honesty before Rama. She was loyal and devoted wife and did her duties to her husband. While she never had the spotlight as Rama did, she too had feelings and thoughts that mattered. The fire was soon constructed by Lakshmana, and Sita prepared to enter the fire. As she finished her prayers, she stepped into the fire and braced herself. Yet as she stood, she remained completely normal. She could not feel the deadly flames around her and she walked across unscathed. Her prayers had been answered. Rama embraced his wife eagerly knowing that she was still pure and innocent. However, in his mind lingered regret over his lack of trust towards his wife. Why did Sita have to go through so much pain and grief to prove her worth towards me? Rama and Sita reconciled, agreeing to put the events in the past, and to move forward as one towards a prosperous future. 

Author's Note: After watching Sita sings the Blues and reading the Ramayana, I really wanted to focus on Sita for one of my stories. I felt that Sita was often forgotten and we never really got to her thoughts. I made the story focus on Sita when had to prove her innocence to Rama, but in a more personal and modern take. I also wanted to change it where the reader could see Sita's POV when her integrity was attacked. I thought it was noteworthy how Rama was unwilling to believe her, so I wanted Sita to have an opportunity to explain herself and thoughts. 

Source:  Myths of the Hindus and Buddhists by Sister Nivedita (1914)


Fire Test for Sita by C.S. Shah

Sita praying in the fire while proving her worth

Comments

  1. Wow! I really enjoyed reading this story as it was told from Sita's point of view!! It was super neat what you think was going on in her mind when her loyalty was tested by Rama and it did a lot to show a different perspective! I really liked this Neal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neal,

    I enjoyed how you focused on Sita and elaborated on her perspective to the situation. I agree that Sita seemed to be a bit neglected in the character development from the Ramayana, but glad you are adding to it. I wonder how you would explain her feeling towards the people who started rumors about her loyalty when her and Rama returned to the kingdom? Do you think she would lash out at the people or just feel ashamed in silence? I think you could also add her thoughts on the battle that just unfolded and the army Rama brought to rescue her. I would imagine she would be overjoyed and even more adoring of Rama and then confused when he starts to question her. Maybe you could add some of those parts in a way to lengthen the story or make a prequel to this one. Overall, I think it is a good story from a perspective we did not see much of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Neal,

    I love that you decided to include Sita's perspective in this story because I was really bummed out that in the original, she virtually has no voice!
    Although I know it's not appropriate for their time period, I honestly think that her character should have told him what was what so it would be interesting to see a spiteful Sita in your story. Like, one that pouts and begrudges what she is accused of. You could even make it funny and make her into a twenty-first century girlfriend who knows her worth and refuses to tolerate his behavior!
    Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nice to meet you, my name is Neal

 Wow. It is crazy to think that I am already back in Norman for my senior year. While my first threes years were full of unique experiences, I never would have imagined all of these recent events occurring. Although it has been a struggle to get through the pandemic, as I am sure everyone can agree with, I am looking forward to completing my senior year and pursuing my future. To start off, I am psychology major on the pre medicine track. Ever since I took psychology in high school I found studying the mind and the way people act so interesting. However, I always had the goal of becoming a physician which explains the pre-med track.  Although I am an OU student, I still consider myself a proud Texan. I come from a relatively small town in East Texas where high school football is king and perhaps the most famous thing is that Matthew Mccounaughey graduated from my high school (he even came to our high school graduation this year to give a speech!). Wikimedia Commons : Longview High Scho

Comment Wall

  Shiva and Parvati with their son, Ganesha  Link to Storybook 

Week 4 Microfiction: Indian demigods meet Percy Jackson

100 Word Story : Percy staggered through the forest until he came upon an unfamiliar sight. Appearing before him was a camp almost exactly like Camp-Half Blood.  As he entered the gates, he was met by many demigods. They introduced themselves as sons and daughters of Hindu gods and how excited they were to meet Poseidon's son.  Soon the headmaster of the camp, Guru Venkaswami approached Percy. He had asked Percy to arrive to the camp, so that he could join forces in their fight against the fearsome Rakshi.  Together Percy and Rahul, son of Indra, would attempt to defeat the evil demon. Two sentence story: Percy Jackson arrived to the Hindu Demigod Camp in need of assistance. Rahul, son of Indra, and Percy would travel together to defeat the Rakshi demon.  Sources: There was no particular source for this story other than my previous readings of Percy Jackson and Indian stories.  Author's Note: I am a big Percy Jackson fan, so I thought it would be cool to introduce the story to