Skip to main content

Week 6 Storylab: Microfiction Revision; Rama rewards Hanuman

 Old: As Rama took the throne, he could not forget his loyal follower, Hanuman. The powerful monkey deity had saved his brother, wife, and aided in the war effort. For all he had done, Rama must surely reward Hanuman greatly. He remembered the great mountain that Hanuman had seized to bring the medicine fruit to bring back his slain soldiers and brother. Thus, Rama decided Hanuman shall became the king of the Himalayas so that he may protect India from invaders and watch over the medicine plant for Rama. Upon hearing the news Hanuman, flew to begin his kingdom. 


New: 

As Rama took the throne, he could not forget Hanuman. The monkey deity had saved his brother, wife, and aided in the war effort. 

For all he had done, Rama must surely reward Hanuman. 

He remembered the mountain that Hanuman had seized to bring the medicine plant back to his slain soldiers and brother.  Rama decided Hanuman shall became the king of the Himalayas so that he may protect him from future Rakshasas and watch over the medicine plant. Upon hearing the news Hanuman, flew to begin his kingdom.

Time went on until one day Hanuman met his brother Bhima...


Author's Note: The difficult part in any microfiction revision was finding words to eliminate to allow for more details. I was kind of unsure on how to do it until I saw I had a lot of unnecessary details describing Hanuman. I felt that adjectives such as powerful and loyal were obvious with him. I did add other details though to make it more clear on Hanuman's roles such as protecting from Rakshasas. I also included a part at the end to show the connection of Hanuman in the Mahabharata as well. 


Bheema And Hanuman (527) (Amar Chitra Katha) [Paperback] [Feb 01, 2011]  Anant Pai: Anant Pai: 9788190599054: Amazon.com: Books

Comic cover displaying Bhima meeting Hanuman 

Comments

  1. Hi Neal,
    I like how directly you approached this project. I came at it with a very different strategy and just made my own story, but many times it is harder to eliminate aspects of an existing story! I think that this skill will help you a lot in the future, as writing concisely is very impressive and often necessary in both academic and public works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neal,
    I think you did a good job in writing a micro-fiction off of a short story. However, I think that it was a bit too similar in wording and phrasing with the original. I wonder if you could have put your own twist to the story to make it seem more yours. I'll probably try to do a micro-fiction myself at some point so wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Neal!

    Props to you for revising a microfiction like this! It can be challenging if you are trying to stay within the constraints of word or character count. However, it is often these restrictions that breed creativity. I appreciate how you broke the text up into smaller chunks. It certainly helps with visibility and the like.

    I wonder if this would be worth exploring in a follow-up microfiction? This might give you a change to explore the same story from Hanuman's perspective?

    Cheers,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

  Shiva and Parvati with their son, Ganesha  Link to Storybook 

Nice to meet you, my name is Neal

 Wow. It is crazy to think that I am already back in Norman for my senior year. While my first threes years were full of unique experiences, I never would have imagined all of these recent events occurring. Although it has been a struggle to get through the pandemic, as I am sure everyone can agree with, I am looking forward to completing my senior year and pursuing my future. To start off, I am psychology major on the pre medicine track. Ever since I took psychology in high school I found studying the mind and the way people act so interesting. However, I always had the goal of becoming a physician which explains the pre-med track.  Although I am an OU student, I still consider myself a proud Texan. I come from a relatively small town in East Texas where high school football is king and perhaps the most famous thing is that Matthew Mccounaughey graduated from my high school (he even came to our high school graduation this year to give a speech!). Wikimedia Commons : Longview High Scho

Week 4 Microfiction: Indian demigods meet Percy Jackson

100 Word Story : Percy staggered through the forest until he came upon an unfamiliar sight. Appearing before him was a camp almost exactly like Camp-Half Blood.  As he entered the gates, he was met by many demigods. They introduced themselves as sons and daughters of Hindu gods and how excited they were to meet Poseidon's son.  Soon the headmaster of the camp, Guru Venkaswami approached Percy. He had asked Percy to arrive to the camp, so that he could join forces in their fight against the fearsome Rakshi.  Together Percy and Rahul, son of Indra, would attempt to defeat the evil demon. Two sentence story: Percy Jackson arrived to the Hindu Demigod Camp in need of assistance. Rahul, son of Indra, and Percy would travel together to defeat the Rakshi demon.  Sources: There was no particular source for this story other than my previous readings of Percy Jackson and Indian stories.  Author's Note: I am a big Percy Jackson fan, so I thought it would be cool to introduce the story to