Skip to main content

Week 7 Story: The Gambling Match

Duryodhana could not take it anymore. He had enough of seeing his cousins, the Pandavas, achieve victories whether is was against the king Jarasandha or Yudhishthira declaring himself a supreme monarch. Yet, Duryodhana had an evil plan to take back the spotlight. He and his cousins were part of the warrior kshatriya class and could not turn down an invitation for a duel. However, this duel would be different. Duryodhana proposed a gambling match as turning down this invitation would be as shameful as turning down a battle to a warrior. Thus it was settled. Duryodhana would invite Yudhishthira for a classic game of Texas Hold'em. However what Yudhishthira did not know was that Duryodhana had the most famed gambler on his side, Shakuni. Yudhishthira soon received the invitation for the poker match and was conflicted with his choices. He knew how easily he could lose his belongings, but also had to maintain his honor. Despite his hesitations, Yudhishthira traveled to Hastinapura to take part in the match. The Texas Hold'em game began upon his arrival, and quickly the stakes were raised. First Duryodhana and Yudhishthira bet all of the treasures each king held. The game began and Shakuni presented a Royal Flush. Yudhishthira knew he was cheating, whether by counting cards or using a manipulated deck of cards, but he could do nothing about it. The game had already begun. Yudhishthira kept losing round after round, forced to give up his cattle, servants, kingdom, and even himself. Finally he decided to stake his wife Draupadi. Shakuni began the round and then both players revealed the cards. Yudhishthira as always had a bad hand while Shakuni presented four-of a kind. Duryodhana was immediately delighted. Not only did he have all of Yudhishthira's possessions, but he also now had his wife. Draupadi was shocked, but Yudhishthira had already given himself up, so how could he give up his wife? She refused to come to Duryodhana and ran to Dhritarashtra for help. The King Dhritarashtra was appalled by what had happened and immediately granted Yudhisthira, his brothers, and his wife freedom.


Source: Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913)


Author's Note: I really enjoyed this story while reading the Mahabharata as I found it almost unbelievable that such great importance was placed on gambling. The warrior placed so much importance on the gambling match that turning it down was as shameful as not taking part in battle. I wanted to rewrite the story, but include more modern aspects such as having the gambling match be a poker game, specifically Texas Hold'em. The overall plot is similar with Yudhishthira losing, but I did add parts from later stories such as King Dhritarashtra giving the Pandavas their freedom. As you read on, you will see another gambling match that ultimately leads to the Pandavas' exile. 

Shakuni Mama Never lost in gambling, whose secret was fingers of ...

Comments

  1. Hey Neal! I loved reading this story! I just came from your introduction blog post so knowing that you are a psych major, and knowing your interests makes this read make a bit more sense! I really like having the perspective of getting to know our classmates before reading their writing because it makes things have a stronger understanding. Overall, awesome story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neal,

    I thought your take on the story was really well written. If you would have given me a blind test and changed the name of Texas Hold Em to something else, I might have been inclined to believe that it was directly from the epic. I also found it crazy that someone would bet their wife on a gambling match. I don't know how I would react if I learned that I got my rights traded away because my significant other lost a gambling match. Overall, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nice to meet you, my name is Neal

 Wow. It is crazy to think that I am already back in Norman for my senior year. While my first threes years were full of unique experiences, I never would have imagined all of these recent events occurring. Although it has been a struggle to get through the pandemic, as I am sure everyone can agree with, I am looking forward to completing my senior year and pursuing my future. To start off, I am psychology major on the pre medicine track. Ever since I took psychology in high school I found studying the mind and the way people act so interesting. However, I always had the goal of becoming a physician which explains the pre-med track.  Although I am an OU student, I still consider myself a proud Texan. I come from a relatively small town in East Texas where high school football is king and perhaps the most famous thing is that Matthew Mccounaughey graduated from my high school (he even came to our high school graduation this year to give a speech!). Wikimedia Commons : Longview High Scho

Comment Wall

  Shiva and Parvati with their son, Ganesha  Link to Storybook 

Week 4 Microfiction: Indian demigods meet Percy Jackson

100 Word Story : Percy staggered through the forest until he came upon an unfamiliar sight. Appearing before him was a camp almost exactly like Camp-Half Blood.  As he entered the gates, he was met by many demigods. They introduced themselves as sons and daughters of Hindu gods and how excited they were to meet Poseidon's son.  Soon the headmaster of the camp, Guru Venkaswami approached Percy. He had asked Percy to arrive to the camp, so that he could join forces in their fight against the fearsome Rakshi.  Together Percy and Rahul, son of Indra, would attempt to defeat the evil demon. Two sentence story: Percy Jackson arrived to the Hindu Demigod Camp in need of assistance. Rahul, son of Indra, and Percy would travel together to defeat the Rakshi demon.  Sources: There was no particular source for this story other than my previous readings of Percy Jackson and Indian stories.  Author's Note: I am a big Percy Jackson fan, so I thought it would be cool to introduce the story to