Skip to main content

Week 15: Fables of Bidpai Part B

For Part B of the Fables of Bidpai, I decided to focus on the story The Lean Cat and The Fat Cat. I must say it was the title that drew me into the story as I initially had no idea what to expect. After reading the story, I found it to be quite amusing and a little ridiculous haha. The ridiculous part to me was how the king had a decree to hang a cat if it was found to be stealing food. Just imaging a king making that decree in a royal court and then actually acting on this policy is so funny to me. Yet, I know this is a story more for children, so I understand sometimes ridiculous plots are needed to get the point across. A consistent lesson that I have seen among the short stories is the lesson of greed and the consequences that come with it. This was evident in the story about the Wolf and Two Otters, Ape and Boar, and now the Lean Cat and Fat Cat. You have to feel bad for the woman because she did warn the cat of the potential trouble it would get in, but then again, the cat was hungry. I also wonder how the Fat Cat felt. Did it feel remorse or was it simply feeling lucky to not have been caught? Also why did the other cat not warn the Lean Cat? These are something plot holes that I could address in a retelling of the story. 



Mythology and Folklore UN-Textbook: Bidpai: The Lean Cat and the Fat Cat

The lean cat about to caught for stealing food



Source: Fables of Bidpai, E. Boyd Smith, 1908








 Source: Fables of Bidpai, E. Boyd Smith, 1908

Comments

  1. Hey Neal, it looks like you got ahead a lot faster than anyone else I've seen, and that makes me feel super jealous! I think you did a great job of summarizing the 'Fables of Bidpai Part B' and after hearing your thoughts and opinions on the story it makes me want to read the original. You did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nice to meet you, my name is Neal

 Wow. It is crazy to think that I am already back in Norman for my senior year. While my first threes years were full of unique experiences, I never would have imagined all of these recent events occurring. Although it has been a struggle to get through the pandemic, as I am sure everyone can agree with, I am looking forward to completing my senior year and pursuing my future. To start off, I am psychology major on the pre medicine track. Ever since I took psychology in high school I found studying the mind and the way people act so interesting. However, I always had the goal of becoming a physician which explains the pre-med track.  Although I am an OU student, I still consider myself a proud Texan. I come from a relatively small town in East Texas where high school football is king and perhaps the most famous thing is that Matthew Mccounaughey graduated from my high school (he even came to our high school graduation this year to give a speech!). Wikimedia Commons : Longview High Scho

Comment Wall

  Shiva and Parvati with their son, Ganesha  Link to Storybook 

Week 4 Microfiction: Indian demigods meet Percy Jackson

100 Word Story : Percy staggered through the forest until he came upon an unfamiliar sight. Appearing before him was a camp almost exactly like Camp-Half Blood.  As he entered the gates, he was met by many demigods. They introduced themselves as sons and daughters of Hindu gods and how excited they were to meet Poseidon's son.  Soon the headmaster of the camp, Guru Venkaswami approached Percy. He had asked Percy to arrive to the camp, so that he could join forces in their fight against the fearsome Rakshi.  Together Percy and Rahul, son of Indra, would attempt to defeat the evil demon. Two sentence story: Percy Jackson arrived to the Hindu Demigod Camp in need of assistance. Rahul, son of Indra, and Percy would travel together to defeat the Rakshi demon.  Sources: There was no particular source for this story other than my previous readings of Percy Jackson and Indian stories.  Author's Note: I am a big Percy Jackson fan, so I thought it would be cool to introduce the story to